Setting with Air Tools with Harry Forster Stringer
- 03 Oct 2020 - 10 Oct 2020 · 9.30AM - 4.30PM
- £439 (Sat 3 & 10 October)
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
There are many ways to grain set stones, this course will cover the most recent methods of using Air tools and microscopes, to arrange diamonds and precious stones cleanly and seamlessly across a surface.
Under expert tuition from Award-Winning Goldsmith Harry Forster-Stringer, join our two-day short course which will cover Micro-Setting skills through demonstration and individual practice.
What will I learn?
- Setting up your bench to work effectively
- Microscope, hand piece and control set up
- Preparation of tools (including tools sharpening and polishing for bright cut, especially Carbide gravers)
- Making specialised tools for setting
- Marking preparation for drilling and setting
- See the tools in operation and gain practical experience of using the tools whilst under supervision and with expert guidance
- By the end of the course you will have created one piece that you can take home and enjoy.
- The tutor will work with you as a group and individually and will support and guide you through your learning.
- Tips on where best to source equipment needed
- Type of grain setting covered: Pavé, Flush and time permitting Fishtails setting
What do I need to bring with me?
- Two pair of accurate dividers
- One scriber
- One flat graver N40
- One Spitstick N4/0
- One Spitstick N5/0
- Own gravers/spitsticks
What will we provide?
- Drill bits
- Beading tools
- Practice plates
- GRS equipment
Who is this course designed for?
Advanced: Practising craftsperson looking to further an existing skill. This course is suitable for someone who has control of the pendant motor and a good grasp of cutting with scorpers.
Who is the tutor?
Harry Forster-Stringer is an award-winning professional Goldsmith, Engraver and Enameller based in Nottingham with over 40 years’ trade experience. Starting as a mounter in Birmingham’s jewellery quarter, he made the jump to setting 30 years ago. He now covers a variety of techniques such as Stone-setting, Microsetting and Hand Engraving, as well as enamelling skills acquired under the tutelage of recently passed away respected Master Engraver & Enameller, Phil Barnes. He is a highly experienced tutor at the Goldsmiths’ Centre and successful consultant in the jewellery industry.
What is your Buyer Policy?
For information on the Goldsmiths' Centre's Buyer Policy, including refunds, please follow this link