Pavé Setting Technique with Niall Paisley
- 08 Jul 2021 - 09 Jul 2021 · 9.30AM - 4.30PM
- £309 (6 places)
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
Learn how “to pavé set” your work with small gemstones, creating a seamless finish and one continuous sparkle. Experienced diamond setter, Niall Paisley, will show you step-by-step how to correctly mark out, drill and set stones in your complex design.
Over two-days you will be expertly guided through the steps of pavé setting to achieve this eye-catching technique. Your tutor will provide an in-depth introduction to pavé setting by hand, building up your skills to a good degree of precision in metal preparation. You will also have time for extensive practice on a variety of cuts and styles.
What will I learn?
- Accurately marking out and drilling for setting
- Prepare and adjust equipment to your need including sharpening your tools
- Using your tools and equipment to ensure precision practice
- Different styles of grain patterns will be demonstrated: single, 4 and 5 grains
- Cut down setting
- Castellation setting
- Problem solving
Our small class size offers you the chance to get group as well as individual guidance and 1:1 time with your tutor, allowing you to receive tailored advice to deepen your knowledge and understanding of this setting technique.
What equipment do I need to bring with me?
- Protective clothing or clothing you do not mind getting dirty e.g. apron, and closed toe shoes.
- (Optional) You can bring your own spritz stick, scorper and other setting tools.
- (Optional) Spectacles or head visor (if required) to work on small details.
You will be provided with:
- Practice plates
- Drill bits and burr as required
- CZ’s in required size and quantity
- Silver ring blank
- All tools including Spritz stick, scorper and pusher
- Files to make some tools
- Buff sticks
Who is this course designed for?
- Intermediate: Some practical experience and understanding of the listed skill required.
- Advanced: Practicing craftsperson looking to further an existing skill.
Participants should be comfortable in a workshop environment and be able to work independently on basic tasks. This course is suitable for someone who has control of the pendant motor and a good grasp of cutting with scorpers.
Who is the tutor?
Niall Paisley embarked on his jewellery career in 1989, where he undertook a 5-year apprenticeship with B&B Setting under his Master Eddy Brown. Following this, Niall spent the next 10 years setting stones as an outworker for various names and companies, including Cartier and Leo de Vroomen. In 2005 Niall opened his own shop in Greenwich, specialising in bespoke jewellery and also ran a gallery that supported 40-50 young jewellery designers from the UK. In between all of this, Niall has taught Setting at Holts Academy (known today as the BAJ) and now teaches on our Apprenticeship Scheme here at the Goldsmiths’ Centre. Niall is a fellow of the IPG and has also judged the Setting section of the Goldsmiths’ Craft & Design Council awards.
Recommended follow-up course:
Setting with Air Tools with Harry Forster-Stringer.
This course will cover the most recent methods of using Air tools and microscopes for setting stones.
Click the link below for info:
COVID-19 and Your Safety
We look forward to welcoming you to the Goldsmiths’ Centre with extra care.
Discover what safety measures we have put in place to ensure that you are taken care of during your visit:
Your Safety at the Goldsmiths' Centre
For further information, visit our Your Safety page.