iPad Drawing: From Paper to Digital
- 16 Nov 2020 · 5:00PM - 7:30PM
- Online via Zoom (GMT)
- Event type
In this online class, drawing consultant Mark Lewis will demonstrate step-by-step how to sketch your latest jewellery, silversmithing or creative design ideas using your iPad as a digital sketchpad.
The use and possibilities of iPads as a digital canvas is becoming increasingly common in the creative practice – with David Hockney leading the way as the world’s foremost iPad painter.
This course delivered online via Zoom will be an introduction to the use of selected drawing and painting apps available for iPhone / iPad / iPad Pro and the exciting possibilities of using these in jewellery and silver design development and presentation. The course will be substantially taught by demonstration with short tasks to help build confidence.
Who is this course designed for?
This short course is ideal for beginners.
Beginners: No practical experience or understanding of the listed skill required.
What does the course cover?
Essential elements covered in the session would include:
- The scope selected art apps, but focusing primarily on Procreate, version 4.2. 1 or 5.
- Different styluses and the Apple Pencil.
- Selecting colours, papers and graphical tools.
- Techniques for blending, changing opacity, creating texture and creating visually interesting backgrounds.
- Importing photos, using layers, copying and repeating units.
- Other graphical functions and tools.
- Building up a design drawing or painting using Procreate.
- Resources for further exploration into iPad rendering.
- Exploring the Procreate App. Navigating the tool menus, etc.
- Exploring mark-making / sketching / painting possibilities using selected graphic tools, customising tools, working with 'layers'.
- Texture menus, and design potential
- Saving, editing and emailing images on the iPad.
- Printing iPad images as "Giclee" prints on fine art papers. Issues to consider before printing (e.g. print resolution, colour sensitivity, etc.)
- Other graphical apps and their possibilities.
- Review / evaluation of days output.
What do I need for this course?
For this course, you should ideally being using an iPad Pro should be used with an Apple Pencil.
You will be sent a link to download Procreate onto your device ahead of the short course. The cost of Procreate is £8.
Please note that Android devices do not support the Procreate App.
Who is the tutor?
Mark Lewis is a jeweller and silversmith living and working in London, with 37 years’ experience of teaching. Drawing has always been central to his practice and recent work has focused significantly on digital painting, drawing and mark-making.