iPad Drawing: From Paper to Digital
- 29 Mar 2021 · 5:00PM - 7:30PM
- £39 (12 places)
- Online (via Zoom) [GMT]
- Event type
This course is now Sold out.
Stay tuned to our social media channels for announcements on future dates for this course.
Drawing consultant Mark Lewis demonstrates step-by-step how to sketch your latest jewellery, silversmithing or creative design ideas using a digital sketchpad, the iPad.
The use and possibilities of iPads as a digital canvas is becoming increasingly common in the creative practice – with David Hockney leading the way as the world’s foremost iPad painter.
This course, delivered online via Zoom, will be an introduction to the use of selected drawing and painting apps available for iPhone / iPad / iPad Pro and the exciting possibilities of using these in jewellery and silver design development and presentation. The course will be taught primarily through demonstration, with short tasks to help build confidence.
Who is this course designed for?
Beginners: No practical experience or understanding of the listed skill required.
What will this course will cover?
Essential elements covered by this course include:
- Selected art apps, focusing primarily on Procreate (Ver. 4.2.1 or 5)
- Different styluses and the Apple Pencil.
- Selecting colours, papers and graphical tools.
- Techniques for blending, changing opacity, creating texture and creating visually interesting backgrounds.
- Importing photos, using layers, copying and repeating units.
- Other graphical functions and tools.
- Building up a design drawing or painting using Procreate.
- Resources for further exploration into iPad rendering.
- Exploring the Procreate App's navigation tools and menus.
- Exploring mark-making / sketching / painting possibilities using selected graphic tools, customising tools and working with 'layers'.
- Texture menus, and design potential
- Saving, editing and emailing images on the iPad.
- Printing iPad images as Giclee prints on fine art papers.
- Issues to consider before printing (e.g. print resolution, colour sensitivity, etc.)
- Other graphical apps and their possibilities.
- Review / Evaluation of the day's output.
What equipment will you need?
For this course, you should ideally be using an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil.
You will also need to download the Procreate app to your iPad. You will be sent a link to download Procreate onto your device ahead of the course.
Please note: Android devices do not support the Procreate App.
Who will be your tutor?
Mark Lewis is a jeweller and silversmith living and working in London, with 37 years’ experience of teaching. Drawing has always been central to his practice and recent work has focused significantly on digital painting, drawing and mark-making.