Filigree Jewellery Workshop with Filipa Oliveria
- 20 Sep 2019 - 21 Sep 2019 · 9:30AM - 4:30PM
- Specialist Workshop
- Event type
Filigree is a 5000 year-old jewellery technique, which uses fine twisted threads of silver or gold to create the most varied designs. Led by filigree specialist Filipa Oliveria, join our two-day short course, which will cover the skills of this ancient jewellery technique through practical demonstrations, handouts and individual practice.
This course is ideal beginners to the technique of filigree and intermediate learners with limited spaces for 6 participants, it offers you the chance to get group as well as individual guidance suited to your needs.
What will I learn?
- You will learn and make your own filigree tools and take these home with you.
- You will be taught how to make the special filigree wire, 3 different filigree designs and how to solder and finish these.
- By the end of the course you will have created a piece that you can take home with you and enjoy.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Small scissors
- Tiny plastic container for solder
Who is this course designed for?
- Beginners: No practical experience or understanding of the listed skill required, but with jewellery skills already.
- Intermediate: Some practical experience and basic understanding of the listed skill required.
What does the word filigree come from?
Developed approximately 5,000 years ago, the term filigree comes from the the Latin word “filum” meaning thread” and “granum” meaning grain, which is a reference to the small beads used in this technique.
Who is the tutor?
Filipa Oliveira is a filigree specialist who has won many awards for her filigree work, including the New Designers Goldsmiths’ Company Award for Jewellery. She uses this ancient technique in an innovative way to lend detail and heritage to her work. This historical element allows both the past and present to be encompassed within each piece of jewellery and is evocative of different times and cultures.