Chasing and Repoussé - SOLD OUT
25-Oct-17 to 28-Oct-17Opening Hours:
9.30am – 4.30pm, £399
Apply for ticket
The course is designed to allow you to experiment and discover the possibilities in your way under Miriam’s guidance. Suitable for those new to silversmithing and jewellery, intermediate learners and advanced metalsmiths looking to stretch their skills and creativity.
"I will show you what I've learned from my own experience which has included much experimentation, many challenges, frustration, innovation, pushing of boundaries and ultimately joy and progress through in-depth research into the technique!" Miriam Hanid
- Pitch recipes and working with pitch in a tray
- How to work with hot pitch and clean pitch safely
- Preparation of tools (including tool hardening)
- Tracing, faceting, texturing and planishing aspects of chasing
- Preparation of metal and transferring your design onto metal
- Different ways of transforming a design into 3D
- Deep repousse work and forming
- An opportunity to see chasing tools in full use and gain practical experience of using them whilst under supervision and with guidance from Miriam
What to bring:
Participants will be required to bring (mandatory):
- A range of designs or patterns to chase. You can work to a 20x20cm copper square to start with in whatever format you choose.
- Any photographs, sketches, designs or textures to integrate your work
Optional items participants may bring (not mandatory):
- Any silver in sterling, Britannia, or fine silver; whichever is most suited to your work (Miriam would recommend 0.8-1.2mm depending on the piece; please email us if you would like advice)
- Any personal chasing tools or chasing/repousse hammer
If you have any questions for Miriam on what to bring let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we encourage participants to send any designs through to us ahead of the course so Miriam can prepare the tools you will need.
Miriam Hanid studied at Metalwork and Jewellery at The University College For Creative Arts at Farnham and then went on to Bishopsland Educational Trust to complete a Postgraduate Training Course before setting up her own business. She has been awarded several awards for Chasing and Repoussé in the Goldsmiths Craftsmanship and Design Awards, including a gold award in 2009.Miriam has been working as a professional silversmith since 2008, creating pieces for private clients and public commissions, including the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, New College Oxford, The Victoria and Albert Museum and the National Museum of Wales.
A 3.5% booking fee applies on all bookings and credit card transactions. Please note that we cannot provide refunds or exchanges.
You can also book via phone or at the reception desk at the Goldsmiths' Centre (EC1M 5AD). Please call 020 7566 7650 or email email@example.com to book or for more information.
Cancellations: The Goldsmiths’ Centre’s events and short courses are constantly updated and, while we endeavour to deliver our programme as advertised, there may inevitably be occasions where we have to change content without prior notice or, in exceptional circumstances, to cancel an event. In the case of a course cancellation delegates will be offered a full refund.