The Goldsmiths’ Centre located on Britton Street in Clerkenwell is dedicated to sustaining goldsmithing in the UK and is also a sustainable development in its own right.
This award-winning building received both the RIBA award as one of the best designed workspaces in the East London region in 2014 and a worldwide Civic Trust Award in March 2014. Designed by Lyall, Bills & Young LLP Architects, it took three years to construct starting in 2009 and opening in 2012.
The building is a state of the art, multi-functional space that connects an existing Grade II Listed 1872 Victorian London Board School through a glass atrium and steel bridge to a four-storey contemporary extension housing dedicated workshop and studio spaces. The redevelopment of the original London Board School, complete with antique fireplaces, honours its roots as a place of learning. Old (York stone and brass) and new materials (glass) have been used to reflect the historic roots of today’s modern industry and complement the brickwork of the existing school building.
Throughout the construction, minimising impact on the local and global environments was paramount. The Centre’s design exceeds BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology) excellent rating for its environmental friendliness; has a bio-diversity roof to encourage wildlife, combines photo-voltaic cells and air-source heat pumps to minimise energy usage and utilises rainwater harvesting for grey water use. Double glazing and acoustic treatment were applied to the interior surfaces in order to minimise noise both inside and outside the Centre.
The Goldsmiths’ Centre is more than just two spaces joined by a glass atrium. Specified in consultation with the craft and industry, it is a place that lives and breathes creativity and craftsmanship, providing facilities of the highest standard for members of the general public, goldsmithing and local community.